Compare O2 SIM only offers
You get reasonable rates, a wide choice of monthly allowances, and great perks like O2 Priority. In this guide, we’ll walk you through what you get from O2 and how to choose a SIM deal.
What SIM-only offers can I get from O2?
O2 offers a wide range of SIM offers. There is something for everyone, no matter what you use your phone for.
Monthly allowances range from 200 MB of data with 150 minutes of calling and texting, up to 30 GB with unlimited minutes and texting. In fact, most O2 SIM plans come with unlimited texting, and many also have unlimited calling – so it’s easy to find a plan if you’re a talker.
SIM cards are available on 12-month or one-month contracts, each with their own benefits. Longer term 12 month plans cost less per month and higher allowances are available; while the one-month offers give you more flexibility.
O2 also offers data-only SIM offerings for mobile broadband devices, like iPads and dongles. Read all about O2 Mobile Broadband here.
Advantages and advantages
All O2 monthly paid SIM cards give you these benefits:
- O2 Priority, which gives you exclusive offers and vouchers for street shops, restaurants, events, etc.
- Priority tickets – buy tickets to big events like concerts before they go on general sale
- VIP treatment in the O2 rooms
- Free access to O2 public Wi-Fi hotspots
- Free help and advice with your phone from the O2 gurus
How to compare O2 SIM only offers
Comparing O2 SIM offers is straightforward – just use the table at the top of this page. You can see all the offers together, compare what you can get and filter them so that you only see the ones that match your needs.
Think of things like:
- Allocation – how much data and how many minutes and SMS do you need per month?
- The duration of the contract – choose between a 12 month or 30 day plan
- Price – if you have a budget, choose the maximum you want to pay each month in the cost filter
Click on the deal you prefer and we’ll direct you to the O2 website so you can sign up and get started.
If you’re not convinced that O2 is the network you want, that’s okay – you can also compare its offerings right next to those of other providers. Just select the networks whose SIM cards you want to see and we’ll show you everything. Or compare all SIM deals here.
Can I get an unlimited O2 data SIM card?
No, we are concerned that unlimited data may not be available with O2. The maximum monthly data allowance you can get is 30 GB, on a 12 month contract. It’s still a lot of data – just stream around 30 hours of HD video or send millions of WhatsApp messages.
If you think 30 GB is not enough for you, you may need to take a look at the unlimited and big data options from other networks instead.
Compare unlimited data SIM cards
What is the cheapest O2 SIM only offer?
The cheapest mobile SIM deal you can get from O2 is a 30-day plan that includes 200MB of data, 150 minutes, and 150 SMS per month.
The cheapest O2 SIM cards have very low allowances – we’re talking about less than 1 GB of data and only a few hundred minutes. They’re great if you don’t use your phone a lot and just want a little service (and O2 priority, of course), but not so much if you’re a heavy user.
To find the cheapest offer that matches your usage, use our comparison chart. Adjust the filters to make sure you only see the SIM cards that have enough monthly allowance for you, then sort the entire table by monthly cost. You will see the cheapest deals at the very top.
You’ll generally find that 12 month plans are cheaper per month than 30 day ones, so it’s worth committing if you really want to save the money. And sometimes there are limited-time offers worth grabbing – keep an eye out for those.
Is an O2 SIM offer cheaper than a telephone contract?
Yes, it’s almost always cheaper in the long run to buy a phone and take out a SIM-only contract.
However, due to the way O2 “Refresh” contracts work, they are actually not that much more expensive than just using the SIM card. They divide your bill to show you how much you are paying for your device and how much you are paying for your SIM card – you can see that the only extra cost you pay on the handset is interest.
So, yes, switching to SIM only costs you less … good to know you won’t be ripped off.
Compare O2 contract offers
Can I upgrade an O2 SIM only offer?
O2 has a fairly good system of upgrades. It’s very easy to switch to another rate after your SIM contract expires, and sometimes there are special offers for existing customers.
There are even better upgrades if you go with a Refresh phone contract, including the ability to refund the cost of your phone and get a new one whenever you want.
Of course, the easiest O2 offerings to upgrade are its 30-day SIM cards – which you can change every month, if you want.
Can I keep my number if I switch to an O2 SIM only offer?
Yes – it’s almost always possible to keep your current phone number when you switch to a new network.
1) Choose a new SIM plan only – compare the offers and subscribe to the one you like. Your SIM card will be sent to you by post. While you wait …
2) Contact your current provider and request your PAC (porting authorization code) – you can request your code in several ways – online, by SMS and even by mail if you are really old school. If you call, they may try to convince you to stay with them, but stick with you if that happens. They will send you the PAC as an SMS within two hours.
3) Give the PAC to your new network – when your new SIM arrives, it will have a new number. To replace it with the old one, contact your network and give it the PAC code. They will take care of the porting of the number. It can be as quick as a business day before the transfer from the old number, but be aware that it can sometimes take a little longer.
It may sound complicated, but it is very simple in practice. If you want a little more detail, check out our full guide to keeping your phone number:
How do I keep my phone number?
What size SIM card do I need?
You can get three sizes of SIM card:
- Standard SIM card – 15mm x 25mm, commonly used in older multifunction phones
- Micro SIM card – 12mm x 15mm, used in some smartphones, mostly older models
- Nano SIM card – 8.8mx 12.3mm, used in most modern phones including popular handsets like iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8
Don’t worry if you have no idea how big your phone is. Most networks will send you a 3-in-1 SIM card, which is designed to fit into any handset. It will come wrapped in plastic, and you can take it out in any size you want.
In other words, don’t worry about the size of the SIM card when you compare the deals. Whichever you choose, the SIM card will fit your phone.
Does my phone need to be unlocked to use an O2 SIM?
Some phones are locked to a particular network and will need to be unlocked before you can use another company’s SIM card. Fortunately, this is really easy to do. To find out if your phone is locked, insert a friend’s SIM card – they will obviously need to be on a different network. If it works, your phone is ready to go. Otherwise, you will need to contact your current carrier and ask them to unlock it.
Different networks have different rules on unlocking. Some examples are:
- Three – all handsets are unlocked outside the box.
- O2 – the phones are locked, but O2 will unlock them for free when you are in breach of contract. Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers will however have to pay.
- Vodafone – the phones are locked, but Vodafone will be unlocked for free.
- EE – phones are locked, but EE will unlock for free – as long as you are not under contract. PAYG customers must wait 12 months after purchase to unlock.
- These are just the big networks. To learn more about unlocking your mobile, see our full guide:
How to unlock your mobile
More SIM only offers
Also take a look at the SIM deals you can get from other providers: