Federer withdraws from Roland-Garros after 3rd round – 95.5 WSB
Roger Federer has always viewed this French Open as a step in his return from a pair of knee surgeries, rather than a place where he could seriously pursue a title. So after a grueling third round victory, and a few weeks away from Wimbledon, Federer decided that some rest was in order.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion retired from Roland Garros on Sunday, a day after securing our four-set victory which lasted until almost 1 a.m. – and a day before he was supposed to face No.9 seed Matteo Berrettini with a quarter-final mooring spot on the line.
“After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation, it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too fast on the road to recovery,” Federer said in a commentary. press release published by the French Tennis Federation. “I am delighted to have had 3 games under my belt. There is no better feeling than to be back on the court.
Federer, who turns 40 on August 8, was in his first major tournament since the 2020 Australian Open. Shortly after that event, he underwent the first right knee surgery and missed the rest of last season. .
He had only appeared three matches this year before arriving in Paris for the Clay Court Slam, where he won the trophy in 2009 and was runner-up to 13th champion Rafael Nadal on four other occasions.
Federer had made it clear last month that he didn’t consider himself ready to fight for the Roland Garros title – “I’m just a realist and I know I won’t win the French, and anyone who thought I would win it or the could win it is wrong, ”he said – and instead he was aiming for Wimbledon, the turf slam he has won eight times in a men’s record.
The game begins at the All England Club on June 28. Federer has to prepare for this by playing a turf tournament in Halle, Germany.
Considering his age, no one knows how many more Roland Garros appearances Federer could make. It ended with him ahead of Dominik Koepfer, 59th, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4), 7-5 in about 3 and a half hours in a match that started on Saturday evening at Court Philippe Chatrier – and without any spectators, due to a 9 p.m. curfew put in place under restrictions linked to the coronavirus.
It was also not shown on TV in the United States, but only through a streaming service.
“The Roland Garros tournament is sorry for the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who fought an incredible fight last night,” tournament director Guy Forget said in a statement. “We were all delighted to see Roger again in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season.
The narrow victory allowed No.8-seeded Federer to avoid what would have been his first loss to Paris since being beaten in the third round in 2004.
It will now be Berrettini, semi-finalist of the US Open 2019, who will qualify for his first quarter-final at Roland Garros. He will meet the winner of Monday’s match between No.1 Novak Djokovic and unranked 19-year-old Italian Lorenzo Musetti for a place in the semi-finals.
Whoever comes out of this part of the table could face Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals. Nadal is trying to win a record 14th championship at Roland Garros, which would give him 21 Grand Slam titles in total, beating the male mark he currently shares with Federer.
It was the first time in a Grand Slam tournament that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were all in the same half of the field.
More from AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.